RAI launches host city tender process
RAI, the Italian national broadcaster, has launched the bidding process for the host cities of the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest by inviting cities to submit their applications in their quest to host the next edition of Eurovision Song Contest in Italy next year.
The potential host city of Eurovision 2022 must comply with a series of requirements and regulations set by the European Broadcasting Union in order to host the event and must contribute financially to the organization of the event.
RAI has published the call for tenders for the Eurovision 2022 Host Cities bid process, cities wishing to host the event next year can apply to host the event from today July 7 up to Monday July 12 midnight. They must communicate their wish to RAI via the following email: [emailÂ protected]
Once the cities have applied, RAI will send them the specifications. Below, the cities which meet the requirements will be invited to prepare their respective tender documents in order to submit them to the RAI and the EBU.
The EBU and RAI will have the final say on the deliberation of the host city of Eurovision 2022.
The host city of Eurovision 2022 must meet the following requirements set by the EBU:
- The city should be near an international airport without more than 90 minutes from the city center
- The city is expected to have around 2,000 hotel rooms in the area near the event.
- An infrastructure (stadium / venue / center) capable of hosting a large-scale live broadcast with the minimum requirements listed below.
- The place must be indoors with air conditioning and have a well-defined perimeter
- The hall must have an audience capacity in the main hall of around 8,000 to 10,000 spectators during the event (which corresponds to 70% of the maximum capacity of this hall for regular concerts, taking into account the needs specific stage and production of the Eurovision Song Contest.
- The venue should have a main hall with the capacity to house the set and all other requirements necessary to produce a high level broadcast production (this includes good specifications of load carrying capacity in the roof, space in relation to low beam, easily accessible load, etc.)
- The roof should be at least 18 meters high (in the room) with good loading capacity
- The venue should have a large space with easy access to the main hall to meet additional production needs, such as: a press center (to accommodate around 1,000 journalists), a delegation bubble, boxes, facilities for artists, facilities for staff, hospitality, facilities for the public etc.
- The place must be available exclusively 6 weeks before the event, 2 weeks during the show (which will take place in May) and one week after the end of the event for dismantling.
Milan, Turin, Bologna or Rome?
A total of 12 cities have so far expressed interest in hosting the competition next year, but not all of them qualify to host the event:
- San Remo
- Reggio Emilia
Of the cities mentioned above, only four of them seem to meet the requirements:
It seems Turin and Rome head into a two-horse race and are the first in the host city auction race. Turin has already started working on its candidacy and has the full back up of its municipality. Rome, known worldwide as the Eternal City, is the majestic capital of Italy and the main headquarters of RAI is located here.
This is just the start as all interested cities must prepare their respective offers in accordance with EBU rules and regulations and include a substantial financial contribution in order to host the competition. Milan and Bologna also wish to host the Eurovision Song Contest in May.
The cities will work on their offers and submit their books to the Italian broadcaster over the following weeks. The official announcement of the host city of Eurovision 2022 is expected by the end of the summer.
The EBU and RAI have yet to confirm the dates for the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest.
Stay tuned to ESCToday for the latest news on the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest.
Source: EBU / RAI / eurovision.tv / ESCToday
ESCToday is growing and is always looking for new members to join our team! Do not hesitate to write to us if you are interested! Use the Contact Us page or email us at [emailÂ protected]!