ICC u-turn on awarding world events like tender process removed


News

All tournaments in the next cycle starting in 2023 will be selected by the board of directors

Hosts for ICC events will not be determined through an open bidding process, but will instead be selected by its Board of Directors. In what effectively amounts to a turnaround, the ICC said after a board meeting on Tuesday that a host selection process for all of its events in the next 2023-2031 rights cycle had been approved and would start this month.

How this process will work has not been revealed, but the decision to forgo soliciting offers from all members will appeal to a number of boards that opposed it, including the BCCI and the ECB. All men’s, women’s and under-19 events in the next cycle will be selected rather than candidates. The host selection process for the men’s cycle events – which now includes the return of the Champions Trophy and an enlarged 50 and T20 World Cup – will begin this month, and all events will have a host by September.

The process of hosting the Women’s and Under-19 events will begin in November and, said the ICC, “this will be an opportunity to engage with a wider range of members, including hosts for the premiere. time”.

The decision to implement tenders for events was one of the most controversial outcomes of an ICC meeting in October 2019, which has since scolded discussions over the next cricket schedule. The potential opening of the possibility for any member – full, associate or affiliate – to bid to host ICC events was a significant change from the way event locations were decided over the course of the year. previous eight-year cycle: All major men’s world events were basically split between Australia, India and England.
In February 2020, the ICC officially kicked off this process by emailing all members and asking them to submit expressions of interest for one of their events. Manu Sawhney, then CEO of ICC, visited several member countries to generate interest and a number of members, including PCB, CSA and BCB, have indicated they will bid. The BCCI, the ECB or the CA in particular, however, did not signal their dissatisfaction with the process.
As recently as February of this year, BCCI expressed objections to the idea of ​​bidding, arguing that only a few members had the infrastructure in place to host larger events. The new selection process will not necessarily exclude other members from hosting events; Sourav Ganguly, President of BCCI, is open to exploring new markets for tournaments at ICC meetings and BCCI is believed to be broadly in favor of an Africa World Cup and a T20 world event at least partially organized in the United States. But along with the ECB and AC, she also wants to make sure some of cricket’s biggest events take place in some of its biggest markets.

This is the argument that has now been accepted by the ICC. “The revised approach to selecting hosts for our events will give us a lot more flexibility to develop the game and engage new fans,” said ICC Acting CEO Geoff Allardice. “There are a smaller number of countries with the infrastructure to host our senior male events, which reduces the selection process. Additionally, many of our members have expressed an interest in hosting women’s and U19 events, which gives us a great opportunity to host events in established and emerging cricket nations.

Apart from disagreement over the process of finding a host, the Boards of Directors of India, England and Australia have opposed the inclusion of an additional event in the new round of eight. years, arguing that more attention should be paid to the development of bilateral cricket. This additional event – as a return of the Champions Trophy – was reconfirmed at Tuesday’s meeting.


Comments are closed.